Nothing is going to make your arm look bigger than a sculpted tricep muscle that’s packed with mass. Not only will it add mass to your arm, but also enormous strength. Having big and strong triceps will also benefit any other workouts you do that require you to push something, e.g. the bench press, shoulder press, pushups, etc…
The best part about triceps is that they’re not even that hard to train. You hit them with just about every pushing exercise you do as mentioned above, so if you’re working out regularly you’ll only need to add in a little bit of tricep isolation work to really get them to show.
Now I know that for a lot of people getting to the gym is pretty difficult and that can take a toll on your workouts since you lack proper equipment, so I’ve put together a list of 3 awesome tricep exercises you can do at home, on your own time with no gym equipment needed.
So let’s get started:
The Diamond Pushup
The diamond pushup is a slight deviation from a regular pushup and its name gives it away. It is designed to take the concentration off your chest when doing pushups and put it more on your triceps. It is a pretty difficult exercise, especially for beginners, but it pays off huge in the end. I’ll explain how to do it below and give you some tips to work your way up if it’s too hard.
How to perform it:
- Begin in a regular pushup position, but instead of having your arms out to the side, bring them in towards the middle and make your thumbs and forefingers of each hand touch, thus making a diamond shape with your hands
- Keep your elbows close to your sides and slowly lower yourself until your chest is just about touching your hands.
- Push yourself back up, but really focus on keeping your triceps engaged the entire way. Do this about 10-15 times or as many as you can at first.
Tip for beginners that are struggling with it:
If you feel this is too hard at first, a simple way to build up to it is to do it against a wall instead of on the floor. Do that until you feel you’re strong enough to perform the actual workout.
Check out a video on how to perform it
The Chair Dip
The dip is one of the best exercises you can do for triceps. It puts your body in a position to get a deep stretch on your triceps along with a power movement that is going to build up their mass and strength. It has been utilized by pros and amateurs for many, many years and is one of the most classic exercises around.
How to perform it:
- Get a chair, sofa, table or sturdy object. Anything that is low to the ground and can support your body weight will work.
- Sit on the ground with your back touching the object and your legs straight out. You want your middle back to be touching the object. If it’s too object is too tall or high, you won’t be able to perform the exercise.
- Now grab the object firmly with both hands, plant your heels firmly into the floor and proceed to lift your butt and upper body off the ground and squeeze your triceps when you get to the top of the motion.
- Repeat this about 10-15 times.
Tip to make it easier:
If you are having trouble or it’s too hard at first, bend your legs at the knees instead of keeping them straight out.
Now I know this one may be a bit confusing so here is a picture to illustrate the proper form and a video to show you how it’s done.